Thursday, May 8, 2008

Sushi: 0 Me: 1

Finally...a success story.

I took Ethan to Shogun, our favorite sushi/teppanyaki place last night. In many ways Shogun is my Mt. Everest. My impossible goal. They have the best sushi in the world bar none, hands down. And I do so dearly love sushi.

Then again, it's not exactly vegan now is it.

So I ordered the teppanyaki vegetables with ... no butter! (Which is vegan as near as I can tell.) Either because we eat there all the time OR because the request is just a bit different, Andy, the owner/chef ended up cooking my food special. It was FANTATIC. Better even than if it had been cooked with butter and that's saying something. (Let's face it, butter tastes good, it's why it gets used so often.) So in this case +1 for being vegan instead of being vegetarian.

I will admit, the sushi menu looked awfully appealing and I was tempted to ask for a special set of rolls made without fish or cream cheese, but in the end I enjoyed my veggies and sriracha and the boy and I had a great time.

I'm not saying it wasn't hard to pass up the yum yum sauce (made with mayo) or eat my sons veggies (they were cooked in butter) but I know I would have to blog the next day about how I knowingly ate butter. And I couldn't give up on being vegan. Not by a long shot.

Vegan Fitness Report
So I did make it into the gym yesterday! Woo hoo!

At first, I felt like crap. But once I started lifting, I started to feel better.

Until I got on the elliptical and ran so hard I nearly threw up. I had to slow down for a second, but I still finished strong.

Yesterday was chest day (vegan chest day?). I did my usual 4 sets of 20 on the dumbell press, incline press, flies, and the press machine. Then finished with abs and the above mentioned cardio.

So far, I cannot tell much of a difference about being vegan vs. not being vegan when it comes to working out. I'll have to see as time progresses.

No comments: