Monday, May 19, 2008

Angel and Devil on My Shoulder

When I weighed myself this morning, the scale dutifully reported that I had gained 5 pounds!! So much for there being no such thing as an overweight vegan.

Well... that's not exactly fair. I know that I am in a marathon, not a sprint. I can't say I'm very pleased by this turn of events, vegan or no. Still, without adversity, there's not success and if it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

Stupid scale... Maybe I should it. No animal products there.

Actually, I think it will be better for me in the long run that this happened. It has both driven home a valuable point and made me really look back on what happened last week.

Firstly, it's likely that I didn't lose six pounds last week and so I didn't put on five this week. At least not of anything but water.

Secondly, I will admit that I didn't have the kind of week I wanted. I didn't get much cardio at all which is, as I understand it, cardio is really what burns the fat. There is a limit to what strength training alone can do. As a corollary to this, since I did do a lot of weight trainining, some of the weight could be musicle.

Third, I didn't watch what I ate very carefully over the weekend. I ended up eating large portions of less than healthy stuff for several days with only my long run to show for it. This includes not only fried foods, but salt and alcohol which I need to get out of myself.

Most importantly, this morning's trip to the scale was a real eye opener and it has taught me that I definitely need to get back on track.

No comments: