Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Shampoo: 1 Me: 0

Okay, so I never thought I'd lose a battle with shampoo as I try to be vegan, but sure enough... My wife called me on the phone to discuss our plans for the evening when she said "Oh, by the way, our shampoo has milk in it."

Huh?

Milk...shampoo... Does not compute. It never occured to me that this might be an issue. So we went to Whole Foods and I got organic shampoo that is free of animal products.

I also addressed another issue in my dietary regime: caffeine. Unbeknowst to me (and really because I didn't look) the tea I have been brewing each day is caffeinated. While I do not think that caffeine is not vegan, I have been told by countless individuals that I need to cut out caffeine. That it is all kinds of crazy evil. While I find myself particularly indebted to caffeine for my college diploma, I have decided I need to kick the habit. So I also purchased some Tazo teas, all of which were clearly labeled "Decaffineated."

I figure if I am giving up all animal products, I should give up caffeine, too.

By tomorrow afternoon, I should be needing a Starbucks. I love giving things up cold turkey.

Weight Room: 0 Me: 1
That's right, I finally got into the gym. First time this week. I did a standard chest routine: dumbbell press, incline press, flies, and horizontal chest press. All four sets of twenty. I am feeling pretty good on that front. Despite not having worked out in a month, I had not lost much strength. I can attribute that to my greater attempts at ingesting protein.

I'll know tomorrow just how sore I am.

Jogging: 1 Me: 0
So instead of hopping on the elliptical after lifting, I decided to do a 20 minute jog. It turned into about a 10 minute jog and a lot of exhausted walking.

Not good...

As near as I can figure, there's two things going on.

#1 Last night's moving did more to work me out than I thought.
#2 I'm not exactly in shape (or at least in the shape of a rectangle that I'm shooting for.)

No comments: