Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Day 1 Recap: Honey: 1 Me: 0

So I've had worse first days on diets before...

All in all, my first day as a vegan was not so rough.

I didn't really feel hungry until about 5:00. On the recommendations of a lot of the fitness and dieting sites and magazines I've read, I am trying to take the 6 small meals approach to dieting. However, I had to interview a chef at 4:30 for a magazine article I am writing and was out the door at 4 having forgotten to grab my planned 4:00 meal.

So by 5:00, I was hungry. By 6:00, I was calorie crashing.

I was saved by the graces of my cooking class instructor. Chef McPeake has been the most understanding food professional about my choice to not eat meat. Since last night's class was on dry cooking, I was given a giant basket of vegetables and I was either given (or I just took) free reign of the culinary school's kitchen.

My menu: warm potato salad with olive oil, champagne vinegar, scallions, red onions, and capers, grilled zucchini and cucumber, asparagus with lemon and sambal, and grilled applies with a honey balsamic reduction.

Yep, there it is. I had already made the reduction and tasted it before I realized it was verbotten. *sigh* On the plus side, I did remember that I should not make a compound butter to go atop the mushrooms I nearly roasted in the oven.

So, all I can do is do better today.

Exercisewise, I had to take a walk. I didnt have my sneakers and the gym gets a little grumpy when people work out in dress shoes. So instead I walked for about half an hour. It was nice to get out and I did get my heart rate up.

No comments: